The Y Whittlesea is committed to embracing and encouraging diversity and inclusion in our organisation. How we connect to others defines our sense of identity and belonging and contributes to our health and wellbeing and inclusion are at the heart of who we are.
We strive to provide opportunities for all individuals, regardless of race, age, language, gender, country of origin, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
Our core values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring underpin everything we do. If you align yourself to our values, care about people, and want to make a real difference within the community, we would love to hear from you.
Finding the right people
Our people have skills, knowledge and experience from a range of different backgrounds
Creating an inclusive culture
The Y is proud to have a strong culture where everyone belongs and their voice is always heard.
Being part of the community
We are part of our community to foster connection and inclusion by providing services and programs to all.
Growing and developing our people
We offer opportunities for our people in personal development, life skills and leadership to enhance both their work and personal lives.
Why work for the Y
“My favourite thing about working with the Y is the sense of community, we’re just like a big family supporting each other” – Kristen, Disability Support Worker.
Everyone is welcome at the Y
People with a disability
Not only do we work with people with a disability in our inclusion services but we strive to empower them to find employment opportunities both with us and other organisations. This includes providing accessible employment opportunities, support and services.
Our focus areas for people with a disability include:
- disability awareness across the organisation
- making our recruitment process more accessible
- all accessible working environments
We operate within one of the most culturally diverse communities in Victoria. We aim to break down language and cultural barriers and provide career fulfilment for everyone. Our key initiatives include:
- cultural awareness
- personal development and leadership
- language and literacy
- making our recruitment process accessible to all
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Acknowledging the traditional owners of this land, their ancestors, elders and the commitment to reconciliation with Indigenous Australians is very important to us.
Our key initiatives include:
- Working in partnership across our business with local Indigenous organisations
- Implementing our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
- Showing respect and earning respect of others
- Acknowledging Traditional Custodians by welcoming customers to include a Traditional Place name when addressing.
We proudly welcome and support people of any sexual orientation or gender identity at the Y.
We support events such as:
- Midsumma Festival
- International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT)
- Wear It Purple Day
- Our people represent the Y at Pride marches each year.
We have a proven record in improving gender balance at all levels of leadership and in traditionally male-dominated areas. We’re remaining committed to improving gender balance and investing in initiatives such as:
- leadership and career programs – supporting development and advancement of our female talent
- mentoring and sponsorship – developing our next generation of leaders
- networking – to foster business collaboration and raise the profile of our female leaders
- flexibility – providing fulfilling and flexible careers