Figuring out Togetheris brought to you bya group of young peoplewho haveconversations about real issues that affect them and other young people in the community. The group was established out of theYoung Women’s Leadership Program, where the idea of...
Invigor8ing Education overview
Invigor8ing Education is a supported, practical semester program with interactive participation in a training or workplace environment.
The program aims to provide a practical applied learning option for small groups of Year 8 students who need help with their school engagement.
Our goal is to increase student awareness of the value of vocational pathways and help them gain important transferable skills for use in education and workplace settings.
Training and workplace immersion
This program offers students a choice of gaining either trades or community and leisure experience with industry specialists. Qualified youth workers guide them in a supportive environment.
Community and leisure
Students have access to a variety of workplace environments within Epping Leisure City. They gain experience in:
- hospitality (café and reception desk)
- sport and eecreation (swimming pool, gymnastics and sports centre)
- childcare (creche).
Students gain experience in trade skills through qualified trainers at Melbourne Polytechnic Epping Campus. Trades can include carpentry, painting and decorating.
- The program provides a nurturing environment which aims to build self-esteem and self-motivation.
- Students gain valuable experience in work readiness skills such as punctuality, responsibility, cooperation, communication, collaboration, creativity and problem solving.
- Specialist youth workers actively support students throughout the program and regularly update the school and families on a student’s progress.
- Students receive a graduation certificate and statements of achievement providing a comprehensive account of accredited skills attained during the program.
Requirements and referral process
- School staff refer students.
- Program organisers interview the students.
- Parents accompany students for an information session prior to the commencement of the program.
- Students commit to participating in the induction process and full semester program (approximately 16 weeks).
- Students will need to be able to make their own way to and from the program venues.
- Students will need to wear suitable clothing (such as safety boots for trades) and agree to the OH&S regulations associated with the course or venue.
Invigor8ing Education is a partnership program supported by The Y Whittlesea, Baseline for Young people (City of Whittlesea Youth Services), Whittlesea Youth Commitment and Hume Whittlesea LLEN.
“I really love working in the reception area and I can see myself making a career out if this, but I am not great at working out how much change to give people or counting things quickly so now I see why I need to go to my maths classes it. I thought I was being taught stuff I wouldn’t need at school but now I can see ow I do need it in the real working world”
“2 years post completion of invigor8ing my daughter has started attending school again after previously having very poor attendance. She has a goal to work in hospitality and has enrolled in a tafe course. She is happier in herself and she has made a lovely new group of friends. She is totally different person after this program. Her improved confidence and happiness have blown me away and in turn she is happily engaging in school again!”
“Can’t we just come back here everyday or do another year, this place is awesome and exactly what I need. This is the way I learn”